Saturday, March 7, 2009

Fun with finances

Ah, the scholarship application process. Not fun, I have to say. I got a call Thursday afternoon (remember, this is my busiest day, with a class from 2:30 to 5, and I had to go film a news story that night, too) from someone in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences Dean's office. She said that I had been nominated from my department (communication) for the Board of Trustees Scholarship.

That's a full year, tuition, fees, and $1000. One student in the whole school gets it. And my department chair had nominated me.

So of course, I think, "sweet!"

Then she tells me that I need 2-3 letters of recommendation, an application, a resume, and a portfolio of all my work by 10 am Friday.

WHAT?!?!

I talked her down (this is the secretary, of course) to just the application and resume, because the letters and portfolio were only in case the Dean picked me to go on and compete with a representative from every other college on campus in front of the Board of Trustees.

So I got to work. It was a stressful night. I even managed to get 1 letter, too. Turned it in, went to the interview with the Dean. Nicest guy I've ever met, by the way.

They said, "We'll let you know by 5 o clock if you got it. If you did, you'll get the weekend to get the portfolio and the rest of the letters." Riiight...because so many teachers check their email over the weekend.

Anyway, fast forward to 4 pm Friday. Get a phone call. "Hi, this is ______from the College of HSS. I just wanted to tell you that it was a hard decision, that there all of you were very qualified...etc"
I'm sitting here going, "it's okay, lady, I didn't get it. That's fine, just tell me."
Finally, she says that I interviewed so well with the dean (I'm very charming, after all) that he put my name in for another scholarship and I'll know about that one in April. Sweet.

Now, I've already applied for a bunch of Departmental scholarships, so I thought I was set. However, my department chair just asked me (again, this was Thursday in class) to apply for the Bonneville International scholarship. $2100 to spend on school. That would cover my education expenses for...well, the last three semesters that I'll be here. Awesome.

So I wrote ANOTHER essay on why I should get this scholarship. With finances slowly getting tighter and tighter, especially with the wedding coming up...I could REALLY use this.

Let's just hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment